The New Melting Pot Kitchen
Eating healthy for you and our planet starts here…
Shopping Lists • Detailed Instructions • Nutritional Information
Click to subscribe, 7¢ a day!
Stroganoff with Red Cabbage, Tuesday, February 21, 2023
History suggests that this main course dish was designed by a French Chef in the employ of a wealthy Russian family in the 1890’s. It is thought that the thin strips of meat were part of the meal design because the head of the household had bad teeth. The guy with bad teeth is long gone but this recipe is a classic.
We’re adding a German version of Red Cabbage or Rotkohl (pronounced “wrote coal”) to round out this meal. Delicious food is one example of how cultures can happily come together.
Pasta with Scallops and Seared Fennel: Monday, December 12, 2022
Pasta with Scallops (not to be confused with Scalloped Pasta which would basically be mac ‘n’ cheese) is on the menu tonight.
You’ll appreciate the lovely flavors of this seafood pasta. Small scallops (or bay scallops) are paired with seared fennel and green peas. The pasta dish gets a little motherly love, as it’s tossed with a lemony Aglio e Olio sauce.
Hot ‘n’ Sour Kale Stir-Fry
This kale dish is based on a favorite Hot n’ Sour Soup from a Seattle restaurant. Tonight we skip the soup part and add more vegetables…in this case, kale. This cozy, comfort-food version of stir-fry combines hot, savory, sweet and sour flavors with lots of texture.
Hint: Quick-cook some rice this morning. Simply place 1 C. brown rice and 2-1/4 C. water on the stovetop and bring to a hard boil. Turn off burner, let the boil settle a little, cover and leave sitting on the burner for the day. You’ll have perfect rice waiting as you start fixing dinner tonight.
If using homemade marinated grilled tofu and if needed, make Marinated Grilled Tofu (Extra Recipe Info.) during the day today. You’ll need to thaw some frozen, ultra-firm tofu this AM.
The New Melting Pot Kitchen. Healthy Meals for a Healthy Planet.
You’ll get 6 complete meal recipes to plate each week. Here is what you’ll get with your subscription:
- If you’re a new subscriber, take an hour and look through Tips and Time Savers. You’ll find useful information about foods and nutrition, helpful cooking tips and recipes for items like sauces, pestos and hummus.
- Each complete meal daily recipe is packed with flavor and texture. They’re also healthy (you’ll average a respectable ratio of 30% fat per calories consumed). A nutritional analysis is included with each meal and we’ll always offer some photos to help you artfully plate the meals to make them even more appealing.
- Every morning you’ll receive an email notice of what’s for dinner that day. The plan is now in place and you’re on your way to eating well. Meals are mostly plant-based, but if you’re a meat eater, we often offer an alternate meat choice.
- When it’s time to start fixing dinner, just click on your daily recipe. You can print it if that’s easier. If you like the meal, mark it as a “favorite.” You’ll have quick access to it in the future.
- Every Saturday you’ll receive a complete list of meal plans and grocery lists for the coming week.
- Included with the current week’s menus are the menus and grocery lists for the following week. These lists give you the lead-time to order ahead. If if you use grocery delivery service, create your grocery list from the weekly grocery lists and fill out your order form from your provider.
- Check (if needed) items against your supplies and delete them from your list if you’ve got them.
- Many of us have discovered we have time to cook these days, but we still want it to be as easy as possible. Once you get the hang of preparing these meals, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen quickly.
- Weekends offer an opportunity to spend a little more time in the kitchen. You can cook more expansive recipes, cook ahead, or make items like soup (which need time to rest before consuming.)
We hope you’ll enjoy cooking, plating and eating these tasty, nutritious and sustainable dinners 6 days a week.
Be good to yourselves. Stay connected.